1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Ron Carey

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lantaur, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Remembered he was hilarious, just faltered on the name.

Not to threadjack, but I'm surprised Landesberg didn't do more than guest spots after Barney Miller.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Is Inspector Luger, who could never get Levitt's name right (until the final episode) still around? He was great. As was neighbourhood vigilante Bruno Binder who popped up occasionally.

Great, great show. The Jack Soo tribute remains one of my all-time fave episodes of any show.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

No. James Gregory, the underrated actor who played Luger, died in 2002.

And let me echo the sentiments of everyone north of 33ish (this makes no sense to the rest of you) about the bass riff, that Steve Landesberg (who I saw one day at Cantor's Deli in L.A.) was one of the funniest elements on that show and the great ensemble cast.

R.I.P. Levitt.

4. casty33

casty33 Active Member

If you ever get the chance and want to see a nice little comic character in a movie, rent High Anxiety, a funny Mel Brooks pic that honors many Hitchcock movies with some rioutous scenes. Take the word of an old-timer, Ron Carey was a funny man. RIP

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I got it, I got it, I don't got it.

6. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Very good, Joe, I'm glad you've seen it and can vouch for my opinion.

7. EStreetJoe

Great movie, although not quite on the level of Blazing Saddles or Young Frankenstein. But Ron Carey's "Brophy" was good for quite a few laughs in the movie.

8. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

...Under 30 or related somehow to my father, who constantly fails to keep up with pop culture, regardless of the year -- constantly. LOL

9. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

It's great how the Times piece refers to Comicus in "History of the World: Part I" as a "stand-up philosopher."

Now, all I can hear in my head: "Oh...a BULLSHIT ARTIST."

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

I remember Carey in some Nabisco snack cracker commercials.
    Here's a shot from Barney Miller.
    [​IMG]

BTW, only the first season of BM is on DVD, so the classic years aren't available.

That was a great show where the supporting characters, in my opinion, were better than the star.
    Harris, Wojo, Fish, Dietrich, Luger, and of course, Levitt.

11. EStreetJoe

Haven't read the Times obit, but if I remember correctly, Mel Brooks was the Stand-Up Philosopher "Bullshit Artist" and Carey's character was his agent who booked him the date in Caesar's Palace.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Barney Miller was a real good show, and that opening song has to be among the top 10 in TV history. Certainly wasn't enlightened about the gay couple that was always getting arrested. Stefan Kopechne the human werewolf was more realistically portrayed. The last time I saw Max Gail (Woj) was on a Home Improvement as an undercover cop busting Tim for ticket scalping. He was Maxwell Gail in the credits. And when did Ron Glass (Harris) die?

As for Ron Carey, he was a stand-up comedian for years before getting on the show. A little edgy for his time, as I recall. R.I.P.

Draft saved Draft deleted