1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ron Balicki

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by trifectarich, Mar 26, 2014.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

No one knew more about men's college golf, or loved it more, than Ron. He covered every NCAA Championship, U.S. Amateur, U.S. Amateur Public Links, Walker Cup and major amateur tournament in the country from the early '80s until last year, when he was diagnosed with cancer. He wrote about all the players before they became big names on the PGA Tour, and he took it in stride that watching all those talented players never made much of an impact on his own game.

I played behind Ron in a golf writers tournament several years ago in Myrtle Beach. At the famed 13th hole at the Dunes Club, a par 5 where water comes into play on every shot until a player reaches the green, I'm not sure I ever laughed so hard in my life.

He made friends wherever he went.

RIP.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

RIP. College golf coaches inducted Ron into their HOF, which pretty well sums up the man's work and reputation.

3. Don Perryman

Don Perryman Member

Nice testimonial.

Draft saved Draft deleted