1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Roger Ebert

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

RIP

Two thumbs down on his death.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That Deuce Bigalow review is also taking a while to load. As is, I would imagine, everything on his site.

Which says it all, really.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He was my runaway favorite. Peter Travers is a distant second.

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Two thumbs up for a great career.
    RIP

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

So sad all around but a little thing that hit me was how much I'll miss his weekly entries in the New Yorker cartoon caption, which he sent out on Twitter. He actually had a winner once.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/cartoonists/2011/04/roger-ebert-wins-the-cartoon-caption-contest.html

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In addition to Jones profile, I enjoyed re-reading this by Leitch about how he and Ebert traded ...

http://deadspin.com/5482198/my-roger-ebert-story

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thanks, Roger. You were a great read, every single time.

8. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Heartbreaking.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

RIP. So sad. Those of you who don't have "I Hated, Hated, Hated, Hated, Hated This Movie," a collection of Ebert's best rip jobs, should do anything you can to find it.
    PS: There are a lot of hateds in the title, but my memory of its exact wording may not be completely correct.

10. Sad, thumbs up :'(

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I'll echo the sentiments of many others here, there just wasn't anyone who's done what he did better. As a fan of all types of movies you could read his reviews and know whether something was worth checking out. He wasn't afraid to say that something certainly wouldn't win any awards but was still an entertaining couple of hours. In that sense he'd tout what needed and should be touted as well.

So sad.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

They were cutthroat, and they were great friends.

Draft saved Draft deleted