1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Roger Angell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, May 20, 2022.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not sure I get that or, even if I understand what you're fully saying, would agree.

What's an example?

A fiction editor at the New Yorker is a square peg in a round baseball world, or vice versa?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Totally different people, different personality types, different social mores, but he made both worlds his own. Hell, even being an editor AND a writer is tough double duty for most of us. I sure couldn't have done it.

3. Songbird

Not sure I agree.

Their pinkies may point to the sky when drinking tea, but snobby socialite literarians are probably way more into baseball than we'd ever know.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Oh, sure, many of 'em may like baseball. But they're miles away from the culture of baseball shared by the sport's participants.
    We interrupt this extremely mild disagreement for an anecdote. For the spring and summer of 1987, I was the Yankees writer for the Village Voice, appearing every other week. Well, I'd been reading the Voice since I was a teenager, and it still had all the old lefties like Nat Hentoff and Jack Newfield on the staff, and Bob Christgau as music editor. I was pretty much in awe of these guys and then discovered these stalwart crusaders for social justice were also all big Yankee fans! The team that was the symbol of ruthless American capitalism since well before I was born. I had a very tough time keeping a straight face when asked about the team in the office.

5. Songbird

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I had that book as a teen too. I read my mom's old copy of "The Boys of Summer," then "Season Ticket" was the first Angell book that was mine. There was something tactile about it -- the drawings on the dust jacket, its texture, that made it one of the favorites on my shelf. (Of course I read it too.) I started hoarding hardcover sports books as a kid, lugging most of them to college and my first couple stops after that. But in time, I culled down the collection as the cross-country moves piled up and I opted for small collections around a couple subjects rather than just mountains of books. At some point, "Season Ticket" didn't make the cut. But when I heard of Angell's passing, I thought of that book. Maybe I'll go buy it again.

maumann and Baron Scicluna like this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I hears ya. Ordered the first three books off Amazon last night and am awaiting their arrival.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nothing like that.

Just that Roger Angell's contribution to American letters is probably broader and deeper (if less obvious) as the fiction editor of the New Yorker in those years than it is as our most thoughtful, stylish, erudite baseball writer.

Sports and literature are longtime companions, and Angell is part of that continuum. Plimpton and the Paris Review; Oates or Mailer or Hemingway at the fights; DFW and tennis, etc., etc., etc.

9. Songbird

Hard to know. Who were the fiction editors of the New Yorker in those years?

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Raises an interesting question.

Are there more readers of literary fiction in America, or more readers of literary baseball writing?

Draft saved Draft deleted