1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Roger Angell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, May 20, 2022.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One of the titans. RIP.

Patchen, spikechiquet and Liut like this.
  2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A member of the Hall of Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very Good.

4. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

There’s a passage in “Late Innings” about what it was like rooting for the Red Sox, circa 1978, that I used to show to every new writer we hired.

HanSenSE and garrow like this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

What can be said? All time all time baseball writer. One quirk I did note about Angell in a couple of press boxes. He really enjoyed seeing a good fight in the stands.

BartonK, TigerVols and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

a giant to his rest

may his memory be a blessing

2muchcoffeeman and matt_garth like this.
  7. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I really got into sports writing by reading BASW of the Century and came across Angell. Started to read more of his stuff and eventually bought some of his anthologies. I still re-read him all the time. Will never be anyone with a career like his.

The story on Steve Blass has always stuck with me: Steve Blass’s Sudden Slump

2muchcoffeeman and garrow like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Slacker likes this.
  9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The Summer Game, one of my favorite books, came out 50 years ago
    RIP

maumann likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

"Baseball's clock ticks inwardly and silently, and a man absorbed in a ball game is caught in a slow, green place of removal and concentration and in a tension that is screwed up slowly and ever more tightly with each pitcher's windup and with the almost imperceptible forward lean and little half-step with which the fielders accompany each pitch. Whatever the pace of the particular baseball game we are watching, whatever its outcome, it holds us in its own continuum and mercifully releases us from our own."

Yep. That and Bart Giamatti's essay sum up why I love the game and why I wanted to be a part of it as a member of the media. There's truly nothing like the timelessness of being absorbed in -- and by -- a well-played game.

Unlike almost all other team sports, time has no control over a baseball game, which makes it both finite and infinite. If you could somehow avoid making 27 outs, you could play forever. Baseball has the ability to stop time, and make you remember when you felt like summers could never end.

RIP, good sir. Hope there are good seats behind home plate in the next existence.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Man, this hurts. It was baseball writing, but with no deadline over his head, it was also literature. The Blass story has been mentioned, but another one that stand out now is a day he spent with Horace Stoneham bat Candlestick the last summer he owned the Giants. RIP.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
    misterbc and maumann like this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If we were to choose THE ONE baseball summer of our lives, mine would be 1985. I loved that Dodgers team and hardly anything else existed. And then Jack Clark murdered me in the fall.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted