1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Rod Beck

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnoopyBoy, Jun 24, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Rumor has it the Phillies called to offer him their closer's role and he just collapsed in the floor in laughter at the thought that he was still in demand.

2. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Here's a link from 2004 that will fuel wild speculation.

I wonder about this quote:

"I had some really devastating things going on in my life where my mind wasn't on the game," Beck said. "Emotionally, I was sick. There were things going on that needed to be taken care of. I had a lot of things that basically made me unable to play baseball."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1806571

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

RIP. Not too fondly remembered in Boston -- heck, not remembered at all, really -- but as someone else said, he always manned up and talked to the media.

4. OJ1414

OJ1414 Member

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's Doug Brocail, I think. Got pulled from a minor league game and underwent major heart surgery (as opposed to minor heart surgery) hours later, I believe.

Man, that sucks about Beck. Seemed like a real cool dude. Way too young. RIP.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Perhaps just a tad too soon, no?

7. The lack of specifics is alarming.

8. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

AP just moved an obit on the wire. No new information, so far as I can tell.

9. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I think it is still very early. Give it another day and the details will come out.

It did happen on a Saturday night. . . which is not exactly the best time for a newspaper to turn loose its investigative reporters. They were probably all sleeping.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

That drug rehab reference is the first I've read of that. I thought he took time off b/c of a family matter.

Certainly makes you wonder what happened yesterday.

11. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

In a related story, it'd be nice if AP would move a file photo -- or even just a mug -- of Beck.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Strange that his moustache made the lede... It's not like he's Rollie Fingers...

I'm stunned that he's dead and even more stunned that he was only 38...

Draft saved Draft deleted