1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Rod Beaton

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jeff.pearlman, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Great story, Moddy! Very much needed on this sad day.

RIP, Mr. Beaton.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

rip, rod. i'm saddened, obviously, but also strangely buoyed by thinking rod's in the press box in heaven readying for another stanley cup final. and as i believe helene elliott put it on facebook, he's being greeted by all the players whacking their sticks on the ice to welcome him aboard. :'( :) ;)

3. espnguy

espnguy Member

Rod was a very special individual in that no matter who you were, big or small in the business, there was one character trait that he displayed above all else: he listened to you, really listened. That always impressed me the most about him. Other people in this business, when they "listen" to you, they're oftentimes merely being phony or tolerant or secretly wishing they were somewhere else or talking to someone else. Not Rod. He made you feel that you not only were his friend, but that everything you said -- every opinion, idea, suggestion, criticism or plaudit -- was something meaningful. He once told me, "if it's something meaningful and important enough for you to say, then it's meaningful and important enough for me to listen to you."

Best damn hockey and baseball writer I ever knew. He didn't deserve the hand fate dealt him, but at least we can all smile, knowing he's in a much better place, is out of pain and finally able to rest in peace.

4. ballwriter

ballwriter New Member

When I was starting out as a baseball writer in the late 1980s at a suburban, he couldn't have been nicer to me. I remember being almost too intimidated to answer the first time he said hello to me, yet I quickly found him to be a wonderful man and someone I was thankful to have as a friend for so many years. RIP, Rod.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

There are not many competing journalists who would help you in a pinch, Rod would.
    There are not many competing journalists who ALWAYS would speak to nearly everyone, Rod did.
    Rod Beaton was a friend. He taught this dummy how to be a better reporter, writer and friend. I am truly saddened by his death.
    Oh, one more thing; Thank you for everything Rod.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

RIP, Rod. Best to Maria and the family.

Parkinson's is an awful, awful disease. Don't even want to think about the other complications that made what was already a tough situation even moreso.

The positive stories told on his behalf on this thread are priceless. Apparently, only the good die young. Again, RIP Rod and all the best to his family.

7. Heard about this while attending a MLB game Wednesday. Appropriate since that's where I met Rod when I was a young columnist. He gave me his # and said call him anytime if I needed anything. Great guy. Godspeed, my friend.

8. BarryMeisel

BarryMeisel New Member

I worked the NHL beat at the NY Daily News in the mid to late '80s, and often hung out with Rod.

He was a great guy to talk to, a fun guy to be with, and he turned me on to the Bar-B-Barn in Montreal.

My condolences to his family, friends, and anyone who was touched by this wonderful man.

Barry

9. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Nice obit by the WaPo...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/rod-beaton-usa-today-sportswriter-dies-at-59/2011/07/16/gIQAUPfqII_story.html

Draft saved Draft deleted