1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Rod Beaton

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jeff.pearlman, Feb 10, 2011.

1. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

Re: Rod Beaton takes a turn for the worse

RIP to a kind man:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rod-Beaton-Sportswriter/207300142174

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

RIP...

A very sad day...

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Rod was always a great guy, friendly and helpful. He had more readers than just about anyone else, but he never big leagued anybody.

Condolences to his family and friends.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Can someone change the thread title, please.

Anyhoo, back in the ever-more-distant day, I was on loan to USAT for a few months. Most of the regulars were kinda cold to us loaners (there was one who kept telling me to piss up a rope, but that's for another day), But I remember talking to Rod a couple of times, and he was very welcoming and wished me good luck. R.I.P to a good guy and a very good journalist, and my condolences to Maria.

5. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Even during these awful past few months, every time I thought of Rod, something he had said or done got me to smilin'. RIP to a wonderful newsman and prayers to Maria and his family. Even thought of a new nickname for Rod I think he would have loved: "Unfairly"

6. DK

DK Member

I was assigned to cover an exhibition featuring rookie Mario Lemieux 27 years ago ... loved hockey, played hockey so I knew the game ... but had never covered the NHL. So there I was this knock-kneed college kid sent because nobody else on staff at the local daily wanted anything to do with hockey. Rod flew in to watch the second coming. He treated me like a pro and a veteran and not some dumb college kid stringer, and also encouraged me to keep at it. And he also showed me how to cover a hockey game, something I'd do a bunch more after that.

RIP to a good man.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I hadn't spoken to Rod in many years, but his numbers are still in my Blackberry. RIP.

8. Rod was indeed a warm and generous person, eager to help anyone who sought his counsel. And it should be stressed what an influential writer he was in his heyday. Being lead baseball writer at USA Today meant something back then. But he never flaunted it. Quite the opposite.

Whenever Rod and I were discussing some baseball issue, such as what hitters might be available at the trade deadline, he'd always go through an alphabetical checklist in his head. "Let's see, Atlanta...Baltimore..."

It became a running joke among the two of us and a couple of other writers. Whenever we'd see Rod, we'd greet him by saying, "Atlanta...Baltimore..." He got a big kick out of it.

RIP, Rod.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I can't entirely put into words how I feel about Rod's passing right now.

He's joined the chapter eternal with an ever-growing list of good people from the USAT sports department (John Bannon, Anne Squires, Don Collins, Harry Blauvelt and a lesser-known fellow named Steve Garment, who worked in photo resources, to name a few). ... All of whom made my time there much more enjoyable.

(That was me, wasn't it? I was simply an awful person in those days. Sorry. I got better)

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This sucks more than I can express. Enjoyed some fine times with Rod on the road - including one great night in Atlanta where a good buddy of mine called the hotel and somehow got connected to Rod's room. They talked for about half an hour - never mind that they'd never met.

Rod gets off the phone and calls me and says, "We're going out to eat tonight with your buddy Rick."

"You know Rick?"

"No but he just got connected to my room and he seems like a great guy."

The three of us went out and tore into ribs, steak and lots of beer at some joint in Buckhead. A fine night I remember well 18 years later.

RIP to one of the very, very, very good ones.

(and I may have told that story before - but I don't apologize)

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was you. You were one of the few who socialized with loaners (Bannon sure did, too, but that's another story). And actually, since I discovered your politics, you've gotten worse. :D

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I can see that.

Draft saved Draft deleted