1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Robin Williams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 11, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If anyone knew what it was like being the smartest guy in the room, it was Robin Williams.

2. joe

joe Active Member

When John Belushi died, it scared a shitload of Hollywood actors and musicians straight — or at least off the cocaine express — Williams and Carly Simon among the two, respectively. But old habits are a bitch.

I reflexively dislike the RIP threads, but, yeah, may you rest in peace, Robin.

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Still my favorite movie, and my favorite scene from that movie. RIP Robin Williams. This one hits close to home.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

This is going to sound as clueless as my remarks about GD Spradlin and Canadian Bacon, but my favorite movie of Williams' was The Survivors.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And Williams was one of the last people to see Belushi alive, having stopped by his bungalow at the Chateau Marmont earlier on the day Belushi died.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Speaking of which:

https://twitter.com/MrJoshCharles/status/499072363687059456

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Did anyone happen to catch Ferguson or Letterman last night?

I think Letterman tapes at 5 EST, and that's right around when the news came out........I didn't know if David said anything or not........

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

No, but Conan did.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/conan-obrien-found-out-about-robin-williamss-death-duri-1619916339?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Letterman was a rerun. Hopefully new tonight.

JayFarrar, I hadn't heard about money troubles. I know that there's no amount of money that can't be burned through, but for some reason that really surprises me.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Loved The World According to Garp.

He also did a recent turn on Law & Order: SVU, where he was superbly creepy as the villain. When it was over, I thought to myself: "I wonder if that was the real him." Writing for the student newspaper, I interview a few comedians. Per capita, they were the most depressed people I'd come across. Their failures were so public, it was very hard.

Just brutal.RIP.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If Monday was a rerun, I'd be shocked if the rest of the week wasn't as well.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The wall-to-wall cable coverage is over the top, especially when 99% of it is just people talking about how kind and funny he was.

Can they not find a single mental health professional, and do at least one segment on depression and suicide prevention?

Draft saved Draft deleted