1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Robert Prosky

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

How could I have not included that one. Children of the Corn, too.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Dolores Claiborne. I also think that The Dead Zone is underrated. And Carrie was decent, too. As was Cat's Eye.

Back to Prosky... according to imdb, he would have turned 78 Saturday.

Also, he was 40 when he filmed his first movie, Thief.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wasn't Prosky in the original Broadway productrion of Glengarry Glen Ross?

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Prosky is a first-ballot "That Guy" Hall of Famer

5. "Let's do it to them before they do it to us."

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The Salem's Lot miniseries that was on in the late 70s or early 80s scarred me for 15 years (it was remade with Rob Lowe a few years ago. Blech). If I watched that old one today, it might be laughable, I don't know (like American Werewolf in London, which frightened me as a kid but made me laugh as an adult). But I watched it when I was five or six, and watched it at my grandpa's farm, in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by trees, where you had to go up creaking steps to go to the bedrooms.

A few scenes that damaged me: the kid sitting up in the coffin, the kid vampire scratching at the window, "Let me in, let me in," and the cemetery worker, now a vampire, sitting in that chair in the upstairs bedroom, a room that looked just like the one I slept in at the farm.

I had nightmares for years afterward, and my mom never forgave herself for letting me watch it. I finally read the book when I was like 18, and the book still creeps me out.

7. No major gaffes!
    (I don't think I'll be watching that one any time soon.)

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Hope none of you saw "the Mist'. Quite possibly the worst movie I've ever seen -- or tied with The Punisher, which I saw the other night.

Interesting that King hated the movie adaptation of "The Shining". He preferred his own made-for-TV miniseries, which wasn't as good.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Some of The Dead Zone was filmed down the street from where I was living in 1982-83.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Huggy,

I saw Prosky in the original B'way production of GGR opposite Joe Mantegna's Ricky Roma. Al Franken was in the line-up behind me during intermission.

o-<

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

He was also a sheriff (IIRC) in a TV movie from the middle 1980s based on this story about these two Colorado drifters who murder this college-bound boy traveling cross country.

Anyone who remembers the name of this movie, feel free to pipe up anytime.

Meanwhile, RIP to the definition of a good character actor.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Keith Gordon directed one of the underrated movies of the 90s, the WWII drama "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear." I thought he had a huge career ahead of him after that.

Draft saved Draft deleted