1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Robert Forster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Bob Parsons in "Grant Theft Parsons."

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone more perfect for a role than he was as Max in Jackie Brown.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

One of my favorite actors since I was a kid. A talented guy who appeared in a lot cruddy movies. Too bad Jackie Brown didn't lead to a Travolta-like career revival.

RIP.

CD Boogie likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For all of the crud Tarantino gets - I really admire that he uses his clout to give great actors no longer considered "hot" great roles that remind people how good they can be if given quality material. And how many other name actors got a boost from being seen in a different light after their work in a Tarantino film? Sam Jackson, Grier, Travolta, Keitel, Walken, Ving Rhames, Willis, Forster, Waltz, Uma Thurman, Tim Roth, Bruce Dern.

qtlaw, Batman, Webster and 1 other person like this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He and Grier had such great chemistry.

Liut, Webster and garrow like this.
  7. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

My first thought was I liked him in the cool B movie Tremors....and that was Fred Ward. They have always been a Daniels/Pullman thing with me. That being said RIP to a really good actor.

Liut likes this.
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Forster said that when his career was at its lowest ebb, he had what he called an "epiphany."

"It was the simple one," he said, "when you realize, 'You know what? You're not dead yet, Bob. You can win it in the late innings. You've still got the late innings, but you can't quit. Never quit.' "

qtlaw and garrow like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I remember he said when he wasn't getting gigs, he'd go out and talk to groups as a guest speaker for nothing - just to continue to perfect his craft in front of an audience.
    Most actors struggle - I'm surprised more don't have drug and alcohol problems with the "up" and "down" nature of the business.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Just watched El Camino and he wasn’t in it much but he was great.

qtlaw and garrow like this.
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah damn just saw him in El Camino!! May he RIP.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I get your point but some of these names don’t quite belong. Walken? In what role was his career rejuvenated by Tarantino? Surely not the Pulp Fiction role. Same with Keitel.

Draft saved Draft deleted