1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Robert Altman

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Nov 21, 2006.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

i absolutely loved "nashville." saw it when i was in college and it really moved me. lilly tomlin was tremendous. any director who can make her look sexy is a genius. 8) 8) 8)

r.i.p., mr. altman.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Anyone see Prairie Home Companion? Not great but Meryl Streep and Lily Tomlin were fabulous. Even whats her name was pretty solid

3. "That hack! He couldn't direct his way out of a paper bag!"

- Buddy Ackerman, on Robert Altman

When I saw the news about Robert Altman, the first thing that popped into my mind was the quote from Buddy Ackerman (Kevin Spacey in "Swimming With Sharks").

The opening tracking shot of The Player (running 8+ minutes), will always top my list of favorite scenes. I believe it took 25-30 takes before they got it right. Somebody could check IMDB to verify that.

RIP

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Damn, stole my notion straight away.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Did he do 'The Company'? I have no interest in dance, but I really liked that movie.
    Of course, I was hammered on cold medicine when I saw it.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

PHC is just the latest evidence of people knowing that they've about completed their run. The death
    theme resonates, and in style and form, it's a prototypical Altman pic.

Draft saved Draft deleted