1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Robert Altman

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"Egyptian Fem"!

2. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Don't forget "Popeye"

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I liked Gosford Park rather a lot.

4. And that is precisely the way one should say how much one liked Gosford Park, ducks.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Short Cuts was completely brilliant...

RIP...

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I just rented A Prairie Home Companion today -- before I heard about this. I guess that was his last film?

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I was always a big fan of The Player.

In a lot of ways, you can look at Prairie Home Companion as evidence that Altman knew his time left was short. He basically admitted as much during interviews that the film was all about death, and being happy and wistful, even in the end.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I was just reading about APHC. Apparently, Altman insisted on bringing a backup director aboard, in case he was incapacitated. I guess you're right, he knew his time was short.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

M*A*SH was just incomparable to anything. The movie is so much better than the good but not great television series.

I know everyone and their dog thinks of Alan Alda as Hawkeye, but Donald Sutherland brought such a brilliant dark humor to the character, it just blows Alda out of the water.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I saw McCabe & Mrs. Miller when it was first released (yeah, I'm that old). Had just finished university and was a huge movie buff. That damn movie changed the way I looked at films from there on in. Maybe not his best flick but one that resonated with me.

11. Sly

Sly Active Member

Anyone who directs a pantsless Julianne Moore while she fights with Matthew Modine is a brilliant man.

Draft saved Draft deleted