1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ricky Jay

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Nov 25, 2018.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Damn. He was awesome. You can find some of his magic performances from the 1970s on youtube.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The best magician with card tricks

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

This is one of my favourite all-time stories. Ricky Jay was an absolute beast, in the best sense.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Loved his videos and Mamet stuff

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Damn. With Powers Boothe gone, we can't even say Cy Tolliver avenged Eddie Sawyer ripping him off and disappearing into the Black Hills after S1.

IIRC, he also wrote and/or directed at least one episode, too.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That was wonderful, and worth reading for this alone:

“I just finished a piece for Jay’s Journal on performing dogs who stole the acts of other dogs,” he said. “Next, I want to do a piece about crucifixion acts—you know, real crucifixions that were done as entertainment. The idea for this came to me one Easter Sunday. Bob Lund, from the American Museum of Magic, has just sent me a little book on Billy Rose’s Theatre that contained one sentence he knew would interest me—about a woman who swung nude from a cross to the strains of Ravel’s ‘Boléro.’ Her name was Faith Bacon. This was in the thirties. Unlike some of the other performers I’ve turned up, in her act she only simulated crucifixion. Anyway, I’m playing around with that.”

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Mark may be the best magazine profiler of the last 40 years. Track down his collection "Character Studies" for a master class in the form.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I got to checking out the Ricky Jay obits yesterday and a few things stood out. I thought it was fitting that there was some confusion over his age. He remained mysterious until the end. Also, although born in Brooklyn, he grew up in lovely Elizabeth, NJ.
    I thought Penn Jillette would have a lot to say about him, but on Twitter Penn mentioned that he barely knew Ricky Jay. That seemed odd.
    I found out about his art collection displayed at the Met. Ricky Jay and the Met Conjure Big Magic in Miniature
    It featured the work of Matthias Buchinger, described as

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

As a Union County transplant, I was really surprised to learn that Elizabeth was a hotbed of Jewish culture back in the day.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I suspect Ricky Jay didn't think too highly of Penn. A lot of Penn & Teller's act is deconstructing the mysticism of magic and that's not something Ricky took lightly.

Draft saved Draft deleted