1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Rick Majerus

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Damn. Ok Majerus was a foodaholic. Dave Jones' piece hit home but it definitely was mean spirited. WTF did Majerus do to him? Not pass him a roll or something? I truly wonder if anyone read this shit before he blogged it.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I wish he would have lived a longer, healthier life and I'm sure there's lots more he wanted to do. But dying at 64 doesn't feel like a life cut short. Not trying to be a dick.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Excellent find, old_tony!

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Is it safe to assume dixiehack is not 63?

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Great job, Bubbler!

I used to date a gal who taught at St. Sebastian's. Classy and humble act (her and the school).

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yes, I'm partial. But I thought Chuck Culpepper's very specific look at one game in Majerus' career did exactly what Chuck does in summing up exactly what Majerus was as a coach.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/40497616/

7. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

That made me laugh really hard.

I always loved the story about Majerus and KVH on the night his father passed away.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No shit. That's cool.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Great job Bubs.... awesome

10. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

I was privileged to meet him back in the early '90s, when he was visiting Sacramento. Wonderful guy. No more pain now, Rick. I'm not gonna say RIP, because he's now living forever in paradise.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I thought about this a lot, for some reason, when I head that Majerus had died.

I disagree with the column. We all make our choices. It isn't as if Majerus didn't know he was fat to unhealthy levels. Yet, he still reveled in eating.

I personally don't get it, and I want to do everything I can to try to reduce the risk of my heart giving out in my 50s or 60s. But that is my choice. From what I can tell Majerus lived his life on his terms. That is all anyone can ask for.

As it turned out, for him it meant sacrificing years in favor of overeating crappy food. But he didn't seem like the kind of guy who would have had it any other way. Maybe I am wrong and in his last moments he was saying, "I wish I had taken better care of myself." But near as I can tell he kind of knew he was fat and unhealthy and he was OK with it. He was smart enough to know that meant he was at risk of dying early. There is nothing tragic about it to me. If he had a happy life and overeating contributed to that happiness -- and I was not inside his skin, so I can't say whether he did or didn't -- he actually fared better than most people. I don't personally get it, but if he was OK with his choices, I am not going to sit here and call his death tragic.

Draft saved Draft deleted