1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Rick Majerus

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Dec 1, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He was great as the dad on Just The Ten Of Us.

Seriously, a great coach and was more concerned with being a real human than the intricacies of NCAA idiocy. RIP.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

http://www.kbrews.com/majerus/majquotes.html

My favorites:

On Ashley Judd:

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. A fun time.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They should read the entire thing at his funeral.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Also on there was the McDonald's quip I'd forgotten about. I was at UK for those title games. Always loved going up against Majerus.

6. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

He was an excellent coach, good guy and always an entertaining interview and great quote.
    He will be missed.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I was at an NCAA regional in SLC when he was living in the Marriott near the Utah campus. Several other beat writers and I had gone out to eat and were going back up to our rooms when we ran into RM on the elevator.

We invited him up to one of our rooms for a beer, we ordered some pizzas and ended up eating, drinking and talking basketball with him until about 1 a.m. Very personable man and he had some great stories.

RIP, big man.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

When Majerus coached at Ball State he lived in Indianapolis and commuted to Muncie and apparently he wasn't a big fan of speed limits. He said in an interview that if he got pulled over driving to Muncie and the first words out of the trooper's mouth weren't "Hi Coach" he knew he was in trouble.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

One more...
    Football trip to Muncie in college, we're introduced to Tony's Locker Room. We go sit on the bar side, but look into the dining room. I ask a buddy "What kind of place is this? Check out the fat guy in the sweats... No wonder he's huge. Check out the plate in front of him"
    Uhh, that's the basketball coach

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Rick is not a big gay guy...Lavin's face is priceless.

11. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I echo everyone else when I say, damn, that sucks. When I was an undergrad at UConn in the mid-90s, his Utah teams were really on the scene and he was front and center. RIP to a guy with whom I'd love to have had a beer.

I'll always remember him for being in those brilliant Robert Goulet/ESPN commercials:

12. I don't think Lance Allred is crying.

Draft saved Draft deleted