1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Rick Majerus

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Dec 1, 2012.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Breaking on Twitter, numerous sources including one of his former assistants Porter Moser (spelling?).

His heart health has never been good but has gotten worse and worse recently.

Too bad. He was a great guy. A real original.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Holy shit. This makes me really sad. It's not totally unexpected, but still sad as all hell.

RIP, Majerus. You were one of a kind.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Just hearing about this as well.

And of course, his Wiki page is already updated.

RIP.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I recall hearing Charlie Pierce on the radio years ago talking about hanging out with Majerus, it's like the guy was the pied piper.

5. noodles

noodles Member

Three-plus hours since this was posted and not a news story of it anywhere other than first mention that it's breaking on Twitter?

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Nothing on the Saint Louis' page or the Post-Dispatch.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Where do you get three hours?

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/01/breaking-former-st-louis-utah-coach-rick-majerus-has-died/

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

First "major" news outlet I have seen with it.
    http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/01/breaking-former-st-louis-utah-coach-rick-majerus-has-died/

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP. One of the most respected men in college basketball.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Damn, this makes me very sad.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Two things stand out for me:

1) When Ndiyae accused one of Majerus' players of racism during a Final Four game, Majerus reacted so forcefully and honestly -- he said he's resign on the spot if it was true and he went and got the kid and sat him at the podium to explain it to the world. He knew his guy would never do that, and by attacking the questions head-on he saved that kid's reputation.

2) His press conference upon taking the USC job was one of the most hilarious sports interviews I've ever heard. "I've got to eat where Jennifer Aniston eats. I got to find these salad places." Of course he only held that job for four days.

Draft saved Draft deleted