1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Richie Havens

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Peaceloving dude and rare African-American folk musician who opened Woodstock in 1969.

Charted one time in his career with a cover of the Beatles' "Here Comes the Sun." Debuted 3/20/71 and was in the Hot 100 for 14 weeks, peaking at No. 16.

Stormy F. 656

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

With Alvin Lee's passing a few weeks ago, that's 2 of Woodstock's memorable performers going down.
  3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Saw him play in 1997 or 1998 in a 1,000-seat theater and thought he sucked pretty bad. I realize that anyone can have a bad night. Also, he was upstaged by a young, energetic opening act, Burlap to Cashmere, that had the unusual opportunity to play for about an hour and performed as if they were auditioning for a record deal rather than just having signed one. I did go see them again once but never again saw Havens.
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

RIP, good sir. Recalled his work with Steve Hackett on "Icarus Ascending" and "How Can I?"
  5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

A great talent. RIP.
  6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

RIP. There goes the sun.
  7. Damn. I believe he improvised the last portion of his Woodstock performance because the next act wasn't ready yet.

I have his Mixed Bag LP, and it's a great album. My favorite, "San Francisco Bay Blues":
Draft saved Draft deleted