1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Richie Havens

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Peaceloving dude and rare African-American folk musician who opened Woodstock in 1969.

Charted one time in his career with a cover of the Beatles' "Here Comes the Sun." Debuted 3/20/71 and was in the Hot 100 for 14 weeks, peaking at No. 16.

Stormy F. 656

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1559103/richie-havens-folk-and-woodstock-legend-dead-at-72

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

With Alvin Lee's passing a few weeks ago, that's 2 of Woodstock's memorable performers going down.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Saw him play in 1997 or 1998 in a 1,000-seat theater and thought he sucked pretty bad. I realize that anyone can have a bad night. Also, he was upstaged by a young, energetic opening act, Burlap to Cashmere, that had the unusual opportunity to play for about an hour and performed as if they were auditioning for a record deal rather than just having signed one. I did go see them again once but never again saw Havens.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

RIP, good sir. Recalled his work with Steve Hackett on "Icarus Ascending" and "How Can I?"

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

A great talent. RIP.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

RIP. There goes the sun.

7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Damn. I believe he improvised the last portion of his Woodstock performance because the next act wasn't ready yet.

I have his Mixed Bag LP, and it's a great album. My favorite, "San Francisco Bay Blues":

Draft saved Draft deleted