1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Richard Mellon Scaife

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Richard Mellon Scaife, the Pittsburgh philanthropist and reclusive heir to the Mellon banking fortune, whose support for right-wing causes laid the foundations for America’s modern conservative movement and fueled the 1998 impeachment of President Bill Clinton, died on Friday. He was 82.

Mr. Scaife’s death was reported by the The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, a newspaper he owned. No cause of death was given.

http://nyti.ms/TTzwBb

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Good riddance

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I believe this is the guy who funded and essentially created the Arkansas Project to perpetuate the conspiracy theory about the Clintons murdering Vince Foster and similar irresponsible nonsense. Sorry to speak ill of the deceased, but a billionaire douchebag he was.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

We really need someone around here to vet the RIPs.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Were his last words "The Clintons did it"?

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

One less two-newspaper town on the horizon.

7. YankeeFan

I believe he created a trust to fund the newspapers for a long time.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I certainly wasn't a fan of the guy, but this is disgraceful. Somebody died. If this is all you can think of to say, you really should shut up.

9. outofplace

That is my understanding as well, but the question is how much money did he put it. If the stories I've heard are correct, the Trib has been losing a lot of money for a long time.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Guy inherited $500 million from his family and yet sought to overturn the will of the American electorate for his own selfish gain.

RIP, billionaire douchebag.

11. YankeeFan

Dude supported abortion rights and marriage equality. Was against the Iraq War. Gave generously to schools, cultural institutions and hospitals.

He loved and supported newspapers.

And, he supported Libertarian causes.

But, in your mind, despite agreeing with you on so much, he's a selfish douchebag.

12. outofplace

There was good and bad to the man. The "loved and supported newspapers" is a bit overly kind to him. He used his newspapers to push his own agenda. Not all media is that way, but it is absolutely fair to say that of Scaife's possessions.

That said, the responses by 'yab and Baron on this thread are repugnant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.