1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Richard Durrett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smash Williams, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Going around Twitter right now.

Tim MacMahon @espn_macmahon
    We lost a great man today. My ESPN Dallas colleague Richard Durrett collapsed and died suddenly. He leaves behind a wife and 2 little kids.

He was formerly with the Dallas Morning News. I crossed paths with him relatively frequently when I was just starting out in the industry, and he was an incredibly kind, welcoming person. I can think of few nicer individuals I ran into over the course of my time in the media.

God dammit. This just sucks.

2. sctvman

sctvman New Member

And his last story was done just today. Very sad.

More about him: http://carolinasportsthoughts.blogspot.com/2014/06/dallas-sports-writer-richard-durrrett.html

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Awful, awful news. He was a young F'in stud 15 years ago — and still was today. I can't believe it. Terrible loss for his family and the people who knew him.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Never got to meet him, but always enjoyed reading him.

RIP.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Great, great guy. This is just stunning.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That blog needs to go in and fix the spelling of his last name.

Horrible news.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

38? My goodness. Very nice guy; knew him from my days in the DFW area.

RIP.

8. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

I dropped my drink when I saw this on SportsCenter this morning. Horrible, horrible news.

RIP.

9. One of the nicest people in the business. An absolute pleasure to work with.

I can't believe this. My heart goes out to his wife and especially his kids.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ugh. Horrible news. Never knew Richard personally but was very familiar with his work through DMN and later ESPN Dallas. Two kids... and a third on the way.

Great column from Jeff Wilson at Fort Worth.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/06/18/5908398/richard-durrett-has-left-us-too.html?rh=1

11. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

That is a tremendous column/tribute.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That's a remarkable tribute. Never knew Richard, but dying at the age of 38 with three small kids is heartbreaking. My brother in law died suddenly when he was 35, leaving behind a wife and two toddlers. Hopefully Richard's wife has a good support system of family and friends.

Draft saved Draft deleted