1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ric Ocasek

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Always hard to be in a bad mood after hearing this song.

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Yes and no. If you watch the last few of their videos, they went from being a group to what appeared to be Ric and the Cars.

I’ve never really read a good explanation as to what happened. Ben Orr, who sang leads on some of the early hits and had what could be considered the most conventional lead singer looks, all but disappeared. Apparently, he and Ocasek had a falling out of some sorts, but they never really spilled anything nasty. It seems like a case of two guys who had been friends since the mid-1960s drifted a part.

I also get the feeling that the rest of the band didn’t care much for the spotlight so they gave that over to Ocasek, who was happy to do so, but never got that big of a head about it. Reading about the recording of the last album in 1988, it seems like he was trying to keep them together and the rest just didn’t care about it.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He retired to play house with Paulina Porischova, an acceptable move.

Twirling Time likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Acceptable? I suppose, especially for a guy with his looks. She's a solid six, after all.

/eyeroll

5. CD Boogie

OK, you've just inspired a thread.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Cool. I see possibilities, mostly for more pictures of sixes.

She's stunning in the picture posted above.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

She was a major player in the European invasion of the SI Swimsuit Edition -- with Heidi Klum and Petra Nemcova.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Artistically, the Cars went from 100-to-zero in a hurry and so did their popularity. Their last album was relatively anticipated in '87, but it had nothing memorable on it, and they sounded like every other band from the late 70s who fell victim to the over-produced, MOR mawk that was prominent at the time. They stopped rocking to put it simply.

9. CD Boogie

There's something to be said for knowing when you're done rocking, about aging gracefully. It won't be said by me, but...

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Loved this song from it:

maumann likes this.
  11. AD

AD Active Member

maumann likes this.
  12. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Just spent a few days in the mountains, not to specifically honour Ric, but to listen to music and largely dosed on the Cars. It struck me they were close to an amalgam of Steppenwolf and Devo on a lot of their best stuff. Elliot Easton provided some very solid guitar work, his solos are sharp, tasty, and are a classic part of their sound. Not many southpaw axemen make it to the big time.

Draft saved Draft deleted