1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ric Ocasek

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 15, 2019.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, reading his bio, I was surprised at how old they were when they finally broke through.

Also, I really need to listen to “milkwood,” which was the CSN style band that he and Orr has and apparently Hawkes guested with.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Along with Tom Petty, The Cars were part of my high school soundtrack. Blasted both through my Alpine stereo with Jantzen speakers.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Ric O was born a year BEFORE Pete Townsend which makes all of us very old.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

There will be a wave of these deaths. All these guys are getting old. Look at the Stones - all the years, all the excess, and the only one who has passed is Brian Jones.

There will be many more postmortem playlists, unfortunately.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I can think of plenty - but damn few of them are first albums. I suspect that was your point.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Paulina, just in case any of you youngsters don't know who we're talking about. I remember she co-starred with Tom Selleck in "Her Alibi" in which she shot him in the ass with an arrow.

paulina.jpeg

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Things, they do seem awful cold.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

So he was, what, 35 when their debut came out?

9. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Ric Ocasek was older than my mother and barely younger than my father (and I'll be 50 soon). I would have assumed he was 10 years younger than either of them -- not that he was particularly handsome or youthful looking. More that the Cars broke so much later than many of their age contemporaries.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

On the commute home tonight, listened to Sirius Classic Rewind and they had on a Town Hall 2016 with Ocasek. Really interesting and enjoyable listen for those who might want to track it down.

maumann and garrow like this.
  11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Damn. Just... Damn.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

So that’s why they broke up in the 1980s on top of their game. Ric was already in his 40s and ready to retire.

Draft saved Draft deleted