1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ric Ocasek

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I'll go for Magic.

Gutter and X-Hack like this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

One of the better debut records you'll ever hear.

RIP Ric.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Jesus.

I know eight of the nine songs on that album from various sources.

One of the better? Shit. That’s Beatles level.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Looking through old photos of the cars...did they ever smile? I remember the videos being so goofy and fun, but literally they look mildly annoyed in every damn group photo.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

We knew of "new wave" from England but it really hadn't supplanted disco until "The Cars" album hit the radio. What an amazing debut album, and the followup "Candy-O" was nearly as good.

Sharp guitars. Crazy drum off-beats. Synth. Driving bass. They had the whole package.

"My Best Friend's Girl" is still my favorite and never tire of hearing it. "Let's Go" gets cranked up every time I hear it on SiriusXM. "Moving In Stereo" should have received more airplay. Absolutely sounded like nothing on the radio at the time.

The second British Invasion was on its way, but The Cars prepared our ears for what was to come. Kraftwerk with lyrics.

misterbc likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I played that record to death. Flat loved it. Still do.

Beatles level? You'd need to understand that I absolutely wore out "Meet the Beatles" and "The Beatles Second Album" from the time I was eight years old on. Those two records gave me Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Motown, Lennon/McCartney, and a lifelong love of 4/4 rock and roll. I find it incredibly difficult to put any other record at that level.

I'd put Elvis Costello's "My Aim is True" at about the same level as "The Cars". Fabulous records that established a band's sound, came out of nowhere. Amazing stuff.

maumann likes this.
  7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Shit
    RIP

maumann likes this.
  8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has fronted a Cars cover band with that name for probably more than 20 years.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, this would have to be No. 1 on my top-10 list of why I'll miss Ric Ocasek.

Summer of '85, he's playing at an island venue in town. We were front row by the speakers. The backstage steps were in plain view of everyone up there.

The Cars begin the intro to "Hello Again," but Ocasek isn't done with his joint. He sucks away at it with one long leg up on a step until the last possible minute, then flicks the joint out to my feet, sprints to the mike and starts singing without missing a beat.

The doob? Yes, it was very good.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    exmediahack likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Cars were an "MTV band" before MTV existed. That's not a knock - they had style before bands having a style was a thing. Agreed on threading the needle from 70s rock through disco to the synth sounds of the 80s. Not many fledgling bands made through the disco era.

maumann likes this.
  11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

This sucks. Loved Ocasek and The Cars

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted