1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones (D-Ohio)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dickens Cider, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Ohio's first black congresswoman dies after a brain aneurysm.

http://blog.cleveland.com/plaindealer/2008/08/hospital_confirms_us_rep_steph.html

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Re: Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones (D-Ohio) in critical condition after brain aneurysm

Circus mentioned this already, but how common does anyone think a situation like is? Honestly, I would tend towards the rare end of the scale, but would there be any figures on how often this occurs.

Any stats mentioned in any of the reports?

3. Re: Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones (D-Ohio) in critical condition after brain aneury

I'll bet anyone $100 she's an organ donor.

I've had this happen to me lots of times on the cops beat: She's technically dead but they keep her alive long enough to harvest the organs. It's tricky reporting.

4. Re: Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones (D-Ohio) in critical condition after brain aneurysm

It happens more than you think. I've covered lots of one-car wrecks where the car just swerves off the road.

More times than not it's the result of an inexperienced/drunk driver, but occassionally it's caused by a pre-existing medical condition. You don't hear of it more, because it's usually a while before they can confirm what caused the death - not only through autopsy but through toxicology (to rule out drinking and drugs). By then, the newspaper has moved on.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones (D-Ohio) in critical condition after brain aneurysm

It sickens me that places are fighting over getting the scoop if and when she passes.

Somebody's death is not a scoop.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My old newspaper has a headline saying she has died:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-08-20-0244.html

7. Re: Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones (D-Ohio) in critical condition after brain aneurysm

That's probably not the case. You probably have a cop or family member telling reporters she's dead, but the hospital saying she's still alive (while they harvest organs).

It happens all the time. The hospital/coroner won't confirm she's dead until she is, in fact, dead.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'd say no one should confirm it until someone is, in fact, dead.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Brain dead isn't dead.

10. Re: Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones (D-Ohio) in critical condition after brain aneury

What I mean is, they won't confirm it until after the organs are harvested. They usually won't comment about the patient being an organ donor until after the fact. Like I said, it's tricky.

11. Re: Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones (D-Ohio) in critical condition after brain aneurysm

I've had situations where a family member told me their loved one is dead, but the hospital maintained they were still alive. That's when I smack myself in the head like I just had a V8 and go back to the family and ask if the deceased was an organ donor.

The answer is always yes.

12. Re: Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones (D-Ohio) in critical condition after brain aneury

Yeah, but it's kind of hard to live when your heart is packed in a cooler inside a helicopter on its way to El Paso.

Draft saved Draft deleted