1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Red Klotz

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Jul 14, 2014.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Best know as coach of the Washington Generals, New Jersey Reds, or whatever name they came up with for the Globetrotters' foils:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11213311/harlem-globetrotters-mourn-death-foe-red-klotz-93

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Lets Lose this one for the Klotz!!!

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Poz linked to this piece on his blog:

http://joeposnanski.com/joeblogs/rip-red-klotz/

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That story is one of my faviorits, too. But I disagree. In heaven, he has the best team ever and is going to win a bunch.

Takes a real special person to have kept playing that role day after day, year after year. I had a Globetrotters book as a kid and they had a chapter on Klotz, and talked about how hard it was to find players who knew their role, so to speak. One guy he had brought on board kept trying to screw up the Trotters' routines because he wanted to play seriously, and eventually punched Meadowlark Lemon. He was gone after that.

RIP, and thanks for being such a great loser.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What a loser. RIP

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

RIP, but I guess I don't understand what was so hard about it. It's just a show, right? Lots of people play bad guys or are regularly the butt of the joke in TV series or movies and seem to survive.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

From numerous reports, a lot of people wanted to punch Meadowlark Lemon, mostly with very good reason.

Supposedly after Klotz's lone win over the Trotters, as he was coming off the floor, Meadowlark was ripping into his ass bigtime, threatening to fire him on the spot, etc etc., and at one point, Klotz fires back, "What the hell was I supposed to do?"
    Lemon: "You were supposed to lose, motherfucker!!"
    Klotz: "Well, if you'd play worth half a shit, it wouldn't be so hard, asshole."

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but for 50 years? And the story said he missed an awful lot of time with his wife and kids because they were on the road all year. You'd think at some point he'd seek a different line of work.

Draft saved Draft deleted