1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Red Fisher

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael_ Gee, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Multiple sources on Twitter, including Michael Farber and the Canadiens, reporting Fisher died today at age 91. One of the legends of hockey as well as sportswriting.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Met him. Wonderful man. RIP, sir.

3. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Love this: Fisher started on the Canadiens beat in 1955 in the era of train travel and finished it in 2012 when reporters tweeted the lines at morning skates. The man knew how to make an entrance: the first game he covered was the Richard Riot, that singular marriage of hockey, sociology and, ultimately, mythology that has marked Quebec for generations.

Montreal loses a hockey legend as Red Fisher dies at age 91

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

First Canadiens-Bruins game I covered was at the old Garden in '88. Red was there. Of course I was curious to see a legend at work. Game over, he hiked back up the stairs to the press room, where his seat was near mine, unpacked his computer, took out a pint of Chivas and started writing. Always great to see a legend live up to the legend. He didn't drink from it, mind you. It was there as a reward for the finish line.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

The Farber obit is wonderful.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

One great writer to another. One of my favourite quotes from Farber's obit: "“When things would go wrong for the team or for me, I would search for answers,” Dryden wrote. “If I couldn’t find them, I would say to myself: ‘I wonder what Red thinks’ and wait for the next day’s paper. I never did that with anyone else.”

FileNotFound likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Helluva read (as usual when Farber writes hockey). And Mr. Fisher died less than two weeks after his wife of 69 years. RIP.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Now that's respect.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

12. Amazing ...

Sanders/McCarver incident has nothing on Richard/Fisher.... ;)

R.I.P indeed ... To a life well-lived.

Draft saved Draft deleted