1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ray Manzarek

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, May 20, 2013.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Loved hearing Ray spread the gospel of the Doors. Even if his rhetoric -- " Jim Morrison was a Renaissance man" -- was a bit over the top.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Jim Morrison died in Paris and Ray Manzarek died in Germany.

I hope Robby Krieger and John Densmore burned their passports.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I remember WKBW used to play an abridged version of "LMF" because back in those days no AM Top-40 station could play a seven-minute song. I don't think they played an entire version of "American Pie" either, and that was 71-72.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

So is this guy dead or what?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I was never a big fan of the Doors (Jim Morrison to me was incredibly full of shit), but watching this video Weird Al Yankovic posted on Manzarek learning to play his Doors pastiche "Craigslist" (brilliant to parody Morrison singing something stupid, which he usually did). Hey, if you're going to nail the Doors' sound, why not bring in Manzarek? Funny, too, is that even on the fake Doors song, Manzarek still does that head shake you see him doing on every Doors film from the 1960s.

.be

6. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Manzarek on Wooden's great UCLA teams. Just fantastic.

.be&t=59s

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Just about every Top 40 station played the 45 version, which was not only edited down, but also had a slightly faster pitch. That's how the commercial single was released.

The odd thing is in '68, both Richard Harris' "Macarthur Park" and "Hey Jude" by the Beatles were hits that were over seven minutes long.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Everyone forgets that post-Morrison, the Doors released TWO albums with Manzarek as lead singer.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

With good reason.

10. cortez

cortez Member

The guy from Echo and the Bunnymen said Manzarek was a cool bloke, and the greatest keyboardist in rock history. They worked together on the soundtrack of The Lost Boys

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

In retrospect, a great Morrison/Manzarek tribute (and hat tip to PolitiFact):

12. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Manzarek also guested on this cool track of the Bunnymen

Draft saved Draft deleted