1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Randy Smith

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I didn't see this on the board and it shouldn't be ignored. Randy Smith could hoop and had perhaps the best Afro in the league.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4233659

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Not a single mention in that story that he was also a fantastic soccer player. I believe a first-round pick in the NASL.

Here's the Buffalo paper's story.

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/693131.html

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

One of the mosty entertaining players of his generation and one guy who used to drive the Knicks and Clyde Frazier crazy.

60 is waaaaay to young.

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Well, darn. I used to wear No. 9 in college intramurals because he was my favorite player.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I wore it for soccer in honor of Hugo Sanchez.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

fixed for accuracy

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He was truly a man among boys in the SUNYAC.

Most thought the Braves drafting him was a throwaway pick to appease the locals (Mike Macaluso from Canisius, there was a real throwaway pick). But Smith was the real deal. No way he'd sink that low today, they way scouting has improved.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Randy Smith, Ernie D., McAdoo ... that was a talented bunch playing for the Buffalo Braves back around 1979.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Back a bit further -- 1973 . The Braves were out of Bullfalo at end of 77-78 season.

They were fun to watch with Ernie D until he tore up his knee. He never regained his quickness. Smith could fly and was perfect compliment to Ernie on the fast break. Also remeber another solid player by name of Bob Kaufman.

RIP Randy Smith

10. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I had no idea that this man worked in the same building as me.

I wish I had known. :(

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Braves could embarrass any team on any given night. Baseline to baseline, Smith might have been the fastest in the NBA during that era. I'd give a close second to Tiny Archibald.

Draft saved Draft deleted