1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Randy Pausch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by concernedjournalist, Jul 25, 2008.

1. concernedjournalist

concernedjournalist New Member

The Carnegie Mellon professor who delivered "The Last Lecture" has succumbed to pancreatic cancer. He was an inspiration. RIP.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Oh shit, does this one hit me. That lecture was fantastic and highly inspirational. RIP.

3. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

I am very sorry for his family's loss. He seemed like an incredible man. I did think his lecture was vastly overrated. I thought the article about the lecture, written by someone from the Post-Tribune, was far better than the lecture itself.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

inevitable but incredibly sad nonetheless. rip, prof. :'( :'( :'(

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

flip, I'm betting his young kids will watch the video of that lecture over and over again and remember their dad fondly later in their lives. I thought he faced death bravely and with humor, and watching it was one of a handful of reminders I have had that really resonated and drilled home the fact that we aren't immortal. It was an inspirational reminder for me to remember when I am bitching about something petty that people face much worse things than I have with a better disposition.

6. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

I've been dreading this day. I had been checking his update page almost every day hoping for some good news.

7. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

I agree with everything you wrote. I'm sure it will provide great comfort for his children, for whom the address was intended. I think I got caught up in the hype and was expecting more than I thought it delivered.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

People were beginning to wonder since he hadn't posted on his blog in a while.

http://socialcapital.wordpress.com/2008/03/19/randy-pauschs-medical-condition

He was a saint and a messenger. RIP.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

(76-minute video, but highly worth it)

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm working on his book right now. Good read. I recommend it.

11. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Very sad, and breaking news on the Noon news in Pittsburgh.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

And breaking even though it happened long before noon.
    I love Pittsburgh news.

Draft saved Draft deleted