1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Randy "Macho Man" Savage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 20, 2011.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Scary Sheri! Had forgot all about her.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Met her the same night I met the Macho Man. Soft-spoken, broad-shouldered woman, I had a nice chat with her while the Macho Man was onstage doing his thing. Two minutes later she was up there with him in full-blown Scary Sheri persona. Unreal.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

OH YEAH!! DIG IT!!!

rb

4. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

'Morgan Fairchild, do you see that?'

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Also, in a bizarre circumstance, Slim Jim factory closing for good today in Raleigh By God North Carolina.

RIP Macho Man.

rb

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Hmm... Randy was apparently too macho to wait for the rapture.

I for one performed many a flying elbow off the top rope (read: dresser) on my brother when we were kids.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the stories I was reading this is how the talkback started.

"Oh no..."

"OH YEAAAAAH!!!"

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Is it possible to write an obituary about a pro wrestler without mentioning either their penchant for dying young, or Chris Benoit? It seems irrelevant in this case and just plain lazy. Why include this for a guy who died in a car crash, even if he was a 58-year-old who had a heart attack?
    From the AP obit:

9. Abe Vigoda

Abe Vigoda Member

Didn't see this one coming.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The building that Slim Jim's ConAgra foods operated exploded there almost two years ago, killing three.

Hmmm ... and it had taken over for Jesse Jones Sausage. Will it still be "Jones Sausage Rd."?

11. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Totally agree, cut it out of the story we are running

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah - I don't think Savage was ever linked to steroids. He got a bit bigger and less nimble as he got older, but that was about it. 58 isn't young when it comes to an athlete death.

One thing that I am curious about: Is his brain eligible to be studied in the NFL / NHL concussion thing? I imagine he might be a prime candidate, given all the bumps he took over the years. One rap on Randy over the years was that he was incredibly paranoid and a bit abrasive to work with, which with the new research being done on concussions and brain injuries, might suggest that the personality developed as a result of that.

Draft saved Draft deleted