1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ralph Houk

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Jul 21, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

His helmet, which his head was in. Maybe I didn't word it too well.

2. It was a ricochet - Houk heard the bullet but never felt it.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wow.

Houk is just before my time.

My first real team was the '77 Yankees, with some memories of the '76 team.

Don't really know anything about him, but he sounds like quite a guy.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Also a pretty tough guy with most of the media ... except for his few favorites who never wrote a bad thing about the aging, deteriorating Yankees of the late 60s.

I once saw him angrily threaten serious physical harm to a suburban reporter (no, not me.)

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ralph Houk would kick Chuck Norris' ass.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

When he came to he said he had the worst nightmare- he dreamed that he was managing the 68 Yankees and his lead off hitter / 2B batted .220 and two of his pitchers traded wives

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

THE Dooley Womack?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Jim Bouton illustrated a few battles with Houk in Ball Four over contracts and stuff, although in the middle of the book, the two of them had a nice conversation and Bouton even said that he wouldn't have minded playing for Houk again.

9. The '60s Yankees revered Houk because he was one of them. As smart a manager as has ever filled out a lineup card. His work with the Tigers and Red Sox validated the success he had in NY, because he didn't exactly inherit a pat hand from Stengel. Rebuilt the pitching staff and was a master at utilizing a deep bench.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Times obit: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/22/sports/baseball/22Houk.html?hp

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

What a story.

I'm mid-30s and only knew him as that "older guy who coached the Red Sox in the early 80's". Hadn't thought of him since he left the BoSox.

What a life. Thank you for your service, Major.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure Houck laughed whenever some sportscaster referred to a player's performance as "courageous."

Draft saved Draft deleted