1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ralph Houk

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Jul 21, 2010.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

This is the first place I saw it (entry on the seventh inning), from his grandson:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

I'm sure there'll be other sources soon.

If so, RIP. I don't feel he ever got enough credit for the job he did, with the Yankees of the 60s, Tigers of the 70s and Red Sox of the early 80s. Almost every one of his teams were in contention every year.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wasn't he George's first (inherited) manager of the Yankees?

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Yes, he was. He apparently is heading to the after life to kick George's ass.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I wondered who would be the third.

RIP Major

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Houk was indeed George's first manager. He resigned after the 1973 season, supposedly with a deal already in place to manage the Tigers in '74.

He also had succeeded Casy Stengel in 1961, gave up managing to become Yankees GM in 64, then came back and managed from '66 to '73.
    He was a gruff, hard-nosed, old-school guy who the players loved.

RIP, Major

6. Forget Ralph Houk the baseball manager - his military experience was similar to Dick Winters of Band of Brothers fame.

http://www.baseballinwartime.com/player_biographies/houk_ralph.htm

They didn't call him the Major for nothing.

RIP and thank you for your service to your country

7. Boom_70

that is why the SJ membership loves you spnited.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

RIP to a very good manager, who nearly was killed at the Battle of the Bulge during WWII. He was leading a group in a jeep when they were ambushed by the Germans. Houk got shot in the head. The jeep made it to safety, and everyone thought Houk was dead, until he sat up. His helmet had two holes, one in the front and one in the back. He kept that helmet at his home and would show it to visitors.

I just got done reading "Season of Glory" which Houk wrote with Robert Creamer in the late 80s, for about the tenth time. Good book on the '61 Yankees from Houk's perspective.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I am genuinely moved, boom. ::) ;D

10. Boom_70

I believe Dooley Womack who is an SJ member played for Houk.

11. Badass

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Are you saying he was shot through the head. or just that -- somehow -- only his helmet was?

How do you live after getting shot through the head?

Draft saved Draft deleted