1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Radio Shack

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Feb 2, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, wouldn't (Area Code) 382-5968 make more sense?

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Heard it described as Radio Shack ran out of hot new things to ride sales of. They had CB radio in the 70s, those Trash-80 computers in the 80s and the first cellphones in the late 80s and early 90s. Those things carried the company a long way. They couldn't stock enough TRS-80s in the beginning.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Heck, we bought our GPS from Radio Shack when we moved here three years ago.

Sorry to see them go.

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

We have three RadioShack scanners in the office, plus my old one at home (wherever it is) I got at RadioShack probably 15 years ago.
    I went by the local RadioShack for a story the other day. No sale signs on the windows at all, but the shelves were pretty bare.
    The Amazon storefront idea sounds interesting to me, moreso than another cell phone store.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Talk about bringing back memories. I felt so high tech when I used a trash 80 at my first gig.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The next generation for me is the single ear bud with the microphone built into it. Other end plugs into your recorder's microphone jack. You hold any phone against the ear in which you have the bud and the sound passes through it, recording in good quality while you carry on the conversation. Got mine from Amazon:

Just threw out a bunch of patch cords, extensions, splitters and other stuff for land lines, much of which I had purchased at various Radio Shacks. Still have an old microcassette recorder and about 50 tapes of old interviews, planning to listen and catalog in my shut-in days.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Let us not forget the geekiest of all gear: Metal detectors.
    No better place for those than Radio Shack.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I filled out one of those on line surveys for a $10 coupon and suggested they file chapter 11 and close
    a bunch of stores. They must have listened.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This will be a new empty storefront in a few malls. All the talk about malls fading out is going to be for realz if Sears and/or Penney's take the dirt nap. Most malls that are relatively healthy have both. The mall I am closest to has gone upper income oriented, but not having Sears or Penney's at the end of the hall is going to claim a lot of inline victims.

11. dooley_womack1

The Shack website still seems to be working normally.

12. dooley_womack1

Farking amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted