1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Print media guides in the ACC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, May 13, 2009.

1. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

This will definitely be the end of boxes and boxes of media guides in sports offices everywhere. I recently cleaned out our collection of media guides, keeping a few for sentimental reasons (USL 1998 with Brandon Stokley on the cover with plastic football players with the headline "We're Not Playing Around") and it was a back-breaking chore for sure. Most sports guys are packrats. I say bury the dead, it stinks up the joint. Coglin's law.

2. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Big 12 office is considering this. At first wasn't crazy about the idea because I like having the info on a page where I can jot notes, etc. But it wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen, as long as the data is readily available and easy to find and access.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Having a meeting at the Ritz and announce ways of saving money is hypocritical.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder if they'll still print them to send to recruits.

5. SamMalone16

SamMalone16 New Member

The ACC may have already had a contract with the Ritz before things really went south. I would be shocked if you see them there next year.

6. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Big Sky Conference did this for basketball. Beats me why we got one because we don't have a team within 100 miles of us.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I, too, prefer to have the hard copies, and because I am a packrat, I've turned into a mini-collector of some of them.

Practically, if it gets me the information in the same amount of time, fine. But I know it won't, because I can just thumb through a hard copy real fast and know it would take longer to plug in the stick, pull up the PDF and then search for it.

Plus, when I'm on the desk, and a bunch of us need to share the media guide, I forsee it being a lot easier to toss the book from person to person instead of plugging the stick in - especially when the USB ports are on the back of something that's strapped to my desk.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Good career move. :p

9. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Jesus, does this mean I have to read an actual book when I go to the crapper?

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Also, paper doesn't crash or transmit computer viruses.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I am a baseball writer, and last year I stopped collecting all the MLB media guides. I had boxes full of them in my house and decided it just wasn't worth the hassle for the amount of time I actually needed them. Now almost all the stuff I need is online, including PDFs of the actual hard-copy media guide.

For the team I was actually covering, I simply downloaded the PDF onto my hard drive. For the other teams, I'd access them online.

In some ways it's faster than the paper version (you can search) and in some ways it's slower (page loading). It's definitely easier on the environment and my back.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Big East, by the way, is not joining the crowd. They will continue to publish hard-copy conference guides.

Draft saved Draft deleted