1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Print media guides in the ACC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, May 13, 2009.

1. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

The Missouri Valley is doing this starting this year as well.

I'm of the tech age, but even though it broke my back covering two teams lugging the books around I liked having the books in hand because it was a lot quicker to look something up.

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

From last month's PFWA newsletter:

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Since most "media" guides anymore include mostly details that have little use to the media, if they want to give me a memory stick with everything I need, that's fine with me. My bag will be a lot lighter.

4. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

The only problem you will have is it's harder to thumb through a PDF than a book. That's about it.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Think the point should be made that this is the conference doing away with printed media guides. The schools will continue to print out their recruiting guides. However, the NCAA is considering legislation that would do away with all media guides but that won't take effect (if it's passed) until the 2009-10 season.

Also, with a PDF guide you can do a search for a name or stat; it's sometimes easier than looking it up in the guide.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

How else is John Swofford going to give himself a bonus in Greensboro?

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What is going to happen to the recruiting bullshit stuffed in the current paper media guides (you know, the "we are...." "first rate facilities" "top academics" "first-rate support staff" "meet the coaches" crapola?

Are schools still going to publish them in some fashion?

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, they won't give that up.

9. zagoshe

Has anyone seen any of these full-blown "recruiting guides" which are accompanied by a supplement full of statistics and whatnot? I think Texas A&M was the first school I saw to do this -- but I'd actually prefer this -- give me the stats and history in a no-frills way and keep the other shit to yourself.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Agreed.

I've already received about a dozen spring media guides, all of which went into the recycling bin. I can't fathom the amount of money that some of the major programs spend on mailing media guides and other info to FWAA members. I've covered an FCS program for the past two seasons so virtually everything I've received has been of no use to me.

11. zagoshe

How much do you think some of the most expensive media guides -- like Georgia's football one a year or two ago with the hologram on it or like Louisville's hard backs -- how much do you think the ones like those cost?

12. John

John Well-Known Member

No idea, but it's about $5 a pop to mail each one out.

Draft saved Draft deleted