1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Prince

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Always dug Prince.

Very very good guitar player......not Clapton-Gilmour-EVH caliber imo, but very very good.

The last 3 minutes and change of Purple Rain is some of my favorite.

I Should Coco and Lugnuts like this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Aside from the cause of death, I think the biggest question now is how many posthumous albums will be released. Music industry folks have said he's got thousands of unreleased songs stored in his vault.

Lugnuts likes this.
  3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Was wondering the same thing, if there would be a Hendrix-like outpouring of stuff. I don't believe the session he did with Miles Davis at Paisley Park has ever been released.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Jeez, cnn.com, could you play this up a little more?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Makes up for fucking worthless slab of shit MTV, which is playing canned reality show dogshit as usual.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Not watching MTV again?

BTExpress likes this.
  7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not only that, but he was one of the holdouts with things like YouTube ... you can't find his original songs there. Well, maybe today people are posting them ... but I don't think Prince was down with some of the online use/marketing of his music. Maybe I'm wrong.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Like deskgrunt and chet, this one's a real bummer for me.

I grew up with him.

His music was sexy at a time when I was learning about sexuality.

Two of my favorites are Do Me Baby and the B side of that song called Private Joy. The riffs at the end of Private Joy are strange and really different from what was being done at the time.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

He definitely wasn't big on YouTube if some of his concert stuff did make it up there it was a race to watch it before it came down.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

And I'll echo what others have said: this one hits home because Prince's music was a soundtrack for fun times in my life in the 1980s and 1990s. After he became famous with 1999 and Purple Rain, I discovered his early albums and they got lots of play in the good ol' Walkman and boom box.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"When You Were Mine" is the best Cars song Ric Ocasek never wrote

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted