1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Prince Philip

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Given Philip's long history of, uh, controversial remarks, I'll bet 10 to 1 he was indeed the member of the Royal Family who worried aloud Harry and Meghan's child wouldn't be acceptably white. I know they both denied it, but I'm still sure.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'd bet 20 to 1 those remarks were never actually uttered.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

To Meghan or Harry directly, I agree. Uttered and then relayed and distorted by the telephone effect by the pro-Meghan subset of the zillions of employees of Monarcho.com Inc. that is the Crown, that I'm sure happened.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

But we didn't shake on it!

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My pounds are on Princess Anne.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I’m not. Apparently he was quite charmed by Meghan. My money is on Camilla.

heyabbott likes this.
  7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is correct, according to British socialite/royals commentator, Lady Colin Campbell, who says she knew about the conversation before it blew up via the Oprah interview.

British socialite reveals who made the comments about Archie's skin, calls it a 'misunderstanding'

Given that Harry asked Oprah to make clear that it wasn't either the Queen or Prince Philip, and that I've read of the once good relations between Prince Charles and Camilla and Harry and Meghan, and given the fact that I just don't think Prince William would come out with something so possibly controversial, even if he ever did have qualms about Meghan, I'd think this is likely true.

8. micropolitan guy

Who knows how accurate "The Crown" was. But after watching that, I immediately thought of Anne when I read about that comment. It just seemed like a remark she'd make, with her dry, dry "wit," for the lack of a better term.

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I read where the $$$ in British books is on Andrew

10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

11. micropolitan guy

The guy was 99 years old. He got his money's worth. It's far easier not to feel too terribly sad about a 99-year-old guy dying, because it's not out of the ordinary. And he's not the leader of the empire, nor was he always especially popular. I suspect the reaction will be a lot different when Queen Elizabeth passes.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The biggest concern seems to be how the family is going to dress.

Draft saved Draft deleted