1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Prince Philip

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Apr 9, 2021.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I hope they kept that bit of drama away from him.

wicked, HanSenSE and Mngwa like this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

When my grandfather was 97 and on his death bed, he had cancer, heart failure and a host of other ailments. It was a race to see what did him in. When discussing impending cause of death, he said to just have them write, “He was 97, for crissakes. Who cares?”

TowelWaver, Wenders, Webster and 6 others like this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was kind of stunned when they said he was undergoing surgery a month or so ago - 99 years old. Might be the most fascinating Royal of them all with his backstory and his role as the most prominent male spouse in the world in the last century. And given the stuff he'd seen in his life, do we really think an interview with Oprah was what "did him in?" He fled the Turks as a tot and was at the WWII surrender of Japan in Tokyo Bay. Wasn't even 30 when Elizabeth became Queen.

His would be a fascinating memoir to read.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    2muchcoffeeman and OscarMadison like this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I was under the impression Jackie O and her kids were made to clear out of the White House immediately for LBJ, although I suppose they could have been allowed back in for the day of the funeral.

6. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

upload_2021-4-10_11-48-40.jpeg

He didn’t lack for swagger.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

How do these individuals get their titles? The Duke of Edinburgh, the Prince of Wales, the Dork of Cambridge, so on?

The titles of the other ''noble families'' are inherited, but why are the royal family given seemingly arbitrary titles?
    Has Charles ever even been to Wales, for example?
    When was the last time Phil even went to Edinburgh?

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Prince of Wales Title Royal History - Why Prince Charles is the Prince of Wales

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

No. The Johnsons remained at the Blair House for as long as Jackie needed.

Charles spent considerable time in Wales, even attended university there, if I remember right from "The Crown." And he spoke Welsh when he was officially crowded as the P of W.

OscarMadison and Wenders like this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I don't know whether he knew about the interview or not. Being 99 had a lot more to do with his death than anything Harry and Meghan did over the last couple of years.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Neutral Corner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted