1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP President George H.W. Bush

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, Dec 1, 2018.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Bill didn’t. Bill is the American Dream. And it kills republicans that a man became president on the sheer strength of hard work and determination. No Amway or Walmart or slumlord fortune for him. Chelsea Clinton on the other hand is one of the most privleged humans not to have summered at Versailles before the revolution.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Trump should just be grateful that he gets a one-week reprieve from whatever Meuller brings down on him.

garrow likes this.
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Trump has never expressed that emotion, gratitude, in his life. He has never tried to express that emotion and no one in his shit family has ever expressed it.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I was reminded of a funny comment. I covered the L.A. Open a bunch of times. One year Pres. Bush played in the pro-am. Got to meet him briefly at a short press conference. I decided to follow him on the course for a little while.
    Near the start of the back 9, like holes 12, 13, 14, the residents would gather around the greens. I got ahead of the group and was standing next to the older woman. When Bush was on his way, a group of secret service men descended on the area. All were dressed like golfers, slacks, golf shirts, etc. but they all had a small wire running under their shirt up to an earpiece. The older woman sees this and said, “Such nice looking boys, and they’re all deaf.”

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I don't know about the others, but in my little world as a kid, Brezhnev, Khomeini, and Vader were pretty much the faces of bad.
    Was that justified? I don't know. I was a kid. But that's how I remember the '70s.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Already seeing the "yes - BUT!" pointing out the bad aspects of Bush. His apparent indifference to inner-city residents in LA, the overkill in Panama, his role (whatever it was) in Iran-Contra, his use of Lee Atwater and the Willie Horton ad in 1988. All true. Still - I think on balance he was good for America.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One would think that we could be mature enough to acknowledge both the good and bad of Bush without undue rancor. His foreign policy accomplishments were very large and very real. His cynical domestic politics were just as real. incidentally, they cost him his job.

OscarMadison, wicked and lakefront like this.
  9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One last deed for family. GW is no Demosthenes, as he would be among the first to tell you, but against those three, he'll be Lincoln at the Second Inaugural.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Wow, never knew anyone thought that theory could have happened. Would have been a hell of a shot considering the Shuttle was already through Max-Q and thus supersonic at that point.

Was looking up some info last night and realized that Clinton (Aug. 16), Dubya (July 6) and Trump (June 14) were all born in the summer of 1946. Baby boomin' indeed.

Assuming he's still in control of his faculties, Mulroney will do Mulroney shit, so a breathy drogue and some Irish-Canadian claptrap. Probably gonna be a little classier than this gem.

Iron_chet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted