1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP President George H.W. Bush

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, Dec 1, 2018.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think a eulogy such as what George W. had to do is right in his wheelhouse, being "folksy" and telling stories. It was an excellent eulogy, both familiar (Dad hates broccoli!) and yet deeply personal. I was in college when Iraq II happened, which has done quite a bit to ensure I'll never vote for a Republican for as long as I live, but I always considered Bush to be a limited man who let other people with darker agendas lead him down dangerous paths (and to be honest, 9/11 probably would have elicited that reaction out of more than most). Now that he's out of power, he can tell stories, paint (apparently that's his big hobby now) and go to ballgames, and I bet he's pretty decent company. Trump's just a son of a bitch, he's always been one and he's always going to be one. If there's any overarching thing I've learned in the last 15-20 years or so in politics, it's that there's a different between wrong and evil. Bush was wrong, Trump is evil, or at least the kind of this earth.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Kind of lost in the discussion - Holy Crap! Jesse Barfield! That's Awesome!

OscarMadison and John B. Foster like this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Covered him in Double-A Knoxville . . . in 1981. Gulp.

Hermes and John B. Foster like this.
  4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted