1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP President George H.W. Bush

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, Dec 1, 2018.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Breaking across most of the news agencies from Bush family press release:

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Kept his first baseman's glove in his desk in the Oval Office. RIP.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A truly great American. Fought in WWII, shot down off of an island notorious for the torture and killing of POWs, only saved because of a sub in the area. He served the country honorably for more than half his life. I felt bad when he lost in '92 - even though I didn't vote for him. One of the more consequential one-term Presidents alongside Polk.

Driftwood likes this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Decorated Navy pilot, oil executive, congressman, United Nations delegate, Republican Party chairman, envoy to Beijing, director of the CIA.

At the desk when the Berlin Wall fell; the Soviet Union ceased to exist; the communist bloc in Eastern Europe broke up; the Cold War ended.

And yet "Read my lips, no new taxes" doomed him to a second term.

An incredible American hero. RIP, sir.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    BadgerBeer and Driftwood like this.
  5. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

"During his presidency, Bush signed a number of major bills into law, including the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990; this was one of the most pro-civil rightsbills in decades. He is also the only president to successfully veto a civil rights act, having vetoed the job-discrimination protection Civil Rights Act of 1990.[117]Bush feared racial quotas would be imposed, but later approved watered-down Civil Rights Act of 1991.[118]

He worked to increase federal spending for education, childcare, and advanced technology research. He also signed the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act which provides monetary compensation of people who had contracted cancer and a number of other specified diseases as a direct result of their exposure to atmospheric nuclear testing undertaken by the United States during the Cold War, or their exposure to high levels of radon while doing uranium mining.

In dealing with the environment, Bush reauthorized the Clean Air Act, requiring cleaner burning fuels. He quarreled with Congress over an eventually signed bill to aid police in capturing criminals, and signed into law a measure to improve the nation's highway system.[25] Bush signed the Immigration Act of 1990,[119] which led to a 40 percent increase in legal immigration to the United States.[120]"

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Via Con Dios, President Bush...

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

A true American hero. RIP.

8. HanSenSE

Chef2 likes this.
  9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

What a great man. Reunited with Barbara now. RIP.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

11. HanSenSE

Vombatus likes this.
  12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not my favorite president, but perhaps my favorite person among all the presidents of my lifetime, if that makes sense.

RIP.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted