1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Preacher Roe

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Nov 11, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

One of the great Boys of Summer died Sunday at age 92. A five-time All-Star who won two World Series games for Da Bums, in '49 and '52. Would've won the Cy Young if it existed in 1951, when he went 22-3 for the Dodgers. Retired in 1954, a year before Brooklyn finally won its only World Series.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11112008/sports/moresports/preacher_roe_dead_at_92_138156.htm

[​IMG]
    (with Reese and Robinson after his complete-game win in Game 3, 1952 WS.)

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i always felt bad that he didn't get a ring. he was a dodger great.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

A few years back, ESPN named him as an honorable mention on its list of "biggest cheaters in baseball." He admitted to SI after he retired that he had used the spitball for most of his career.

One of the great quotes attributed to him was, "I got three pitches: my change; my change off my change; and my change off my change off my change."

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

great quote.

and everybody threw the damn spitter back in the day. what year did mlb officially "outlaw" the spitter, buck?

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Officially, they outlawed it beginning in 1920 (contrary to popular opinion, it wasn't because Ray Chapman got killed. The move toward "cleaner" baseballs was already in full force.) Seventeen pitchers were grandfathered in. Burleigh Grimes was the last of those to retire (in 1933.)

Of course, Gaylord Perry, Whitey Ford and a host of others will tell you that the spitter has never really gone away ... ;)

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

awwwww, man. i forgot about the grandfathered pitchers. thanks. that's great stuff, even if you have to refresh an old man's memory.

and i just went over an looked at my podres-roe signed 8x10 on a pic taken in vero. there's not many of the old brooklyn guard remaining ... kinda sad.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Very cool. The ones who are still left aren't looking too good, either. Especially Branca and Snider, who made a few appearances at Dodger Stadium (and that Coliseum game) recently.

Man, Podres was also this year, wasn't he? Damn, damn, damn.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

clem labine also died about a year and a half ago.

as i'm sure you know, he helped pave the way for relievers as we know 'em.

the man had some great stories about the old dodger days. i loved listening to him speak. we'll have lost a huge chunck of baseball history once all the brooklyn players pass.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

The team of my childhood--my father's team -- is all but gone.

And tomas, my man, I hate you for having that podres-roe signed pic. .. because I want it!

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

;)

and, an fyi, preacher came over to the dodgers in the dixie walker trade. not a bad trade.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

my signed pic looks something like this:

[​IMG]

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Along with Billy Cox, a pretty fair third baseman who missed four seasons because of the war. That was the trade where the Dodgers cast off Dixie Walker after his failed revolt in the spring of 1947 when Jackie Robinson was called up from Montreal.

Draft saved Draft deleted