1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Porter Wagoner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

2. I'm literally watching a Tivo'd taping of his old show right now.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

A big influence on some of my favorite musicians of all time.

A big loss.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I wonder if they'll still have the Porter impersonator hanging out in front of the Ryman now.

5. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Man, I had just googled up Dwight Yokum and Buck Owens singing "Streets of Bakersfield"--"You don't know me but you don't like me..."--then I come over here and this is the news.

Porter wasn't universally popular among his peers, but he nailed down a spot and held onto it, and he knew a good voice when he heard one.

6. etsuwes

etsuwes Member

I've heard Porter's new album "Wagonmaster," produced by Marty Stuart, is awesome. Kind of like Johnny Cash releasing his late stuff. He was the inspiration for "I Will Always Love You" and wrote some great stuff himself. One of my fondest memories is seeing Porter, Bill Anderson and Little Jimmy Dickens sing a medley with Garth Brooks at the Opry in 2005. That was fabulous. Country music lost another icon.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Weird that, even though I'm not a country & western fan, I always remember his name.

I grew up on Wagner Drive, and the next street over (where we met the school bus) is Porter Ave.

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I love, love, love Porter Wagoner. I got to see his show in L.A. a few months ago. People were lined up around the block.

It was really tough to see him in such a compromised state. I grew up watching the tv show. It was kinda forced on me at the time, but in later years, I rediscovered it. I tivo it off of RFD.

Happy trails, Wagonmaster. You were-and are-one in a trillion.

RIP, buddy.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

He also showed that men could wear sequins off the ice.

RIP.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Dating myself, but had early childhood memories of the Porter Wagoner/Buck Owens Show. Would usually be Saturdays around 6:30-7 p.m. Dolly (with brown hair) sang Jolene one night. It beat the hell out of Hee-Haw.

11. The songwriter a lot of them learned from.
    RIP, indeed.

12. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Man, check out Dolly's hair.

[​IMG]

Looks like a 40-pound hat.

Draft saved Draft deleted