1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP PONTIAC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Apr 24, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Overview-c3351-1993-Bonneville.html?urlSource=switchCarWidget

For a sedan, this thing had some fire under the hood. The SCC(?) version is the one I am thinking of.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Nearly 150,000 miles on my baby, which I sadly sold a couple of months ago to a close friend. The worst thing that's happened to it was a busted radiator.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But nothing was stronger than this bad boy.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Mine's still under 100k (I don't drive much). The fuel pump went out about six years ago, but otherwise it's been pain free.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Ah, a rebadged Monte Carlo SS!

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Had a 98 Grand Am and an 02 Grand Prix. Both were very, very good to me. 120K out of both -- if not for a hit and run accident I'd likely be driving the 02 still.

That said, there was too much redundancy between Pontiac, Buick and Chevy. Why keep all those lines and overhead when you're strapped?

Now I'm driving an 04 Sebring I found on the cheap. So I guess Chrysler's the next addition to Heaven's Auto Mall.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

G8 GT's pretty nice.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That's about all GM had. Certainly wasn't outstanding vehicles ... I'm convinced GM would have had to close its doors many years before this not because of the economy, but because they weren't offering dependable, durable vehicles that actually showed signs of progress.

Pontiac is a serious shame, though. Used to be the butt of GM with the ridiculous moldings and idiotic, useless body cladding. Finally got to building sleeker, more attractive vehicles and putting some acceptable powerplants in them.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

«THWACK!»

Intercooled turbocharger slapped on top of the EFI 3.8-liter V6 instead of the Monte Carlo's wheezy pickup-truck V8. The Grand National (245hp) and GNX (275hp) were awesome fun cars. The SS ... well, it looked really nice sitting at the curb (especially the Aerocoupe) but its carbureted 180hp 305ci V8 dripped fail from its oil drain plug.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Rented a Pontiac Grand Am for a roadtrip through the South, I was impressed.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My folks are spinning in their graves.
    My mom got a new Grand Prix every four years. Same dealership, same salesman (who remains alive, I think, and pushing 100). Wouldn't consider driving anything else.
    My dad bought a hot GTO convertible about a month before he died. That bad boy was his baby. Went to my brother after Dad died - bastard. Just because he was already 16??

No one could say Pontiac like Richard Petty.

12. DS

DS New Member

First car I ever bought for myself was a 1969 GTO ragtop with 400 cubic inches, double-barrelled carbs and a Hurst four-speed stick shift. Passed everything on the road except a gas station, as they say.
    Bought it because I landed my first job after finishing school at a start-up newspaper in a city about 1 hour west of Toronto. The plan was for the Toronto Sun to print our fledgling newspaper, which was to start as a weekly then go daily after four weeks. The night of our debut edition, the last pages were our live news and had to be delivered quickly to the Sun (this was before pagination and satellite printing, etc.). The paper was to come out Sunday morning and the priority at the Sun was their own Sunday paper so we had a small window on Saturday night to get those pages, which were pasted up at our shop, to Toronto. With all the usual screwing around on a first edition, we had less than an hour to get them there. I volunteered the GTO and off we went, me and a couple colleagues and the pages. Averaged about 140 mph on the 401 late Saturday night and hit downtown TO in about 35 minutes. Never did it faster before or since. Then we hung around until our first edition came off the press, grabbed some copies and drove home at the more sedate pace of 120 mph. Yeah, young and stupid, I know.

Draft saved Draft deleted