1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP PONTIAC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Apr 24, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

GM is cutting the entire line, per CNN.com.

Sad.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The used to make a neat car, but that was 15 years ago.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

My first car was a 1986 Pontiac Firebird.

I want another one, to this day.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The G8 is one fine looking automobile. I would by one if I could afford it. Very nice car.

Of course you can get yourself a MUSTANG GT, for a bit less.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Does that make my '04 Grand Am an antique? I've been openly listening to buyers on that thing for least 6 months.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It is sad. I hope Saturn can somehow survive.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think it was Saturn, maybe it is Nissan though, that has a car coming out that runs on a cleaner burning diesel fuel. A reporter from Detroit drove it all the way to Atlanta on one tank of fuel. I guess the longer you drive without stopping, the better mileage you get making it very affordable. Hopefully what ever company is making that stays in business. I want a car that can do that.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guess heaven wanted a GTO.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Sweet. My G6 will be a collector's item.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

My 2000 Sunfire has been nothing short of a magnificent car. So maybe not so much on the 15 years ago side.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

GM has too many rebadged makes and models. The GMC trucks and the Chevy Silverados are identical except for a few differences in moulding, etc., for example. The Pontiac Sunfire (a/k/a the Bitch Wagon) and the Chevy Cavalier are the same car.

Of course, Ford / Mercury / Lincoln and Chrysler / Dodge / (RIP) Plymouth have always had the same model duplication, to a lesser extent.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Informative update:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/24/autos/pontiac_obit/index.htm?postversion=2009042414

The story indicates Pontiac was the third best selling brand. Original plans were to shrink it to a few cars, IMO which they should have done. Shrink the other brands and retool the factories so you can make any car at any factory - much like Ford has done.

This way, they close the factories, but they lose the breadth of their sales. I feel like they are shooting themselves in the foot. They need to shrink the entire fleet, not kill one of their best brands.

Draft saved Draft deleted