1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Plain Dealer's Dick "Zippy" Zunt. . . my first boss

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Just_An_SID, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Active Member

I was busy all weekend and missed seeing this online until today.

Dick was my first boss, hiring me to call in high school football and basketball scores at a rate of $2 a game back in the late 70's.

I saw him a year or two ago when I was in Cleveland and not only did he remember me, but he remembered my high school and other details. He loved that I worked in sports.

Those two stories give some pretty good info about him. He is one of the people, who I can honestly say what I'd like people to say about me when I pass. . .

"He was a great guy". . .

Thanks Zippy.
  2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

My Dick Zunt was named Joe Dommershausen, although he was more of an inside guy. He hired me to help with preps in 1976 and passed away long ago.

I know Dick Zunt because I knew Joe Dommershausen. RIP.
  3. Pfoosman

Pfoosman New Member

Zippy was the consummate nice guy who really enjoyed his work. Always had a kind word.
  4. Colton

Colton Active Member

Mr. Zunt was one of the nicest, classiest gentleman I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

He was a credit to not only his profession, but also to humanity.

RIP, Mr. Zunt.
Draft saved Draft deleted