1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Pinetop Perkins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flip Wilson, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Indeed, one of the all-time greats. Man, do I loves me some "Pinetop's Boogie Woogie", a pretty cool version of which, featuring the great man his own bad self, can be seen here:

RIP

3. Reuben Frank

Reuben Frank Member

When I was a freshman at Ohio Wesleyan, February of 1979, we put on a Muddy Waters concert, and a few hours before the show, Muddy's piano player sat down at the grand piano on stage in an empty Gray Chapel Hall and started playing the most amazing barrelhouse, boogie-woogie and blues piano I've ever heard for an audience of about three or four of us who were setting up stuff. He sat there and played with a big smile on his face for about 15 or 20 minutes and I was just mesmerized. I tried to tell him how amazing his playing was, and he just laughed and gave me a dismissive, "This? Nah, I'm just messing around." What a nice man and a humble man. It wasn't until years later that I realized exactly who Pinetop Perkins was and was able to put into perspective what I'd seen and heard that day -- Feb. 24, 1979. An absolutely unforgettable experience. RIP to a true gentleman.

4. Great talent that transcended eras. That he kept playing at a world-class level into his 90s is absolutely astonishing.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Reuben said it perfectly. The blues legends are dying off. There are some youngsters trying to keep it going but the times have changed.

Draft saved Draft deleted