1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 2, 2014.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

No, it's for them to get. And if beating a dead horse stops one other entertainer from becoming another prematurely dead person, then I think it'd be worth it.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

He's dead by his own hand; that's the point.

No one is saying his family doesn't deserve our compassion; the point is that we show them more compassion than their own dad did.

3. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

So pointing out that his own drug use led to his death on SportsJournalists.com will stop the next celebrity from using drugs? Noted.

It's coming together now. These guys are killing themselves with drugs because they want people to be sad afterwards! Aha!

Once we convince everyone how not sad it is, nobody will want to use drugs anymore!

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My lord. The lack of understanding about addiction here is astounding.

The fucking guy was amazing at his craft; someone who brought nuance and authenticity to every character he played.

RIP

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

6. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

BREAKING: Addicts know they shouldn't be using drugs. You can be an addict and love your kids. It's not a simple choice between the two.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Believe me, I hope the guy rests in peace, just like everybody else here does.

But, OK, so I also hope everybody else in the world beats the dead horse if it will stop these useless deaths/losses.

If it won't, tell us what will, besides manufactured sympathy for somebody none of us knows. Because that's not working.

I get the complexity of the problem. I know addiction is not easy, and I don't doubt that PSH loved his family, or whoever his significant others were. But addiction also should not be an excuse, either for him, or for us to just drop an important subject.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Wow. I just woke up to this headline and am shocked.

Also stunned to learn he was only 46. I would have guessed at least 10 years older than that.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's not so much that addiction is an excuse.

There's just a certain level of dissonance -- even creepiness? -- for a bunch of people who have never been in this guy's zip code to judge whether his life was a waste, something of value, thrown away, played out the way it was intended.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I think SJ and the rest of the national media should stop covering drug overdoses.

11. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

This, thanks.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm an addict. You never quit.

Draft saved Draft deleted