1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 2, 2014.

1. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I don't think anyone is seeking sympathy on behalf of PSH. The "this is what happens when you do drugs" schtick is really, really old. We get it.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Don't expect me to say he brought such great things to the world, either. He was a junkie who got what he asked for.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't think this thread needs any finger-wagging or scolding.
    I

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Show a little compassion.
    Humanity, some folks call it.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm certainly acquainted with situations that require compassion. This isn't one of them.

6. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

He asked to get high, he didn't ask to die. Call it dumb, sick, whatever you want. The point is, no one is arguing against you. We're all aware drugs are bad and carry a risk. Nobody really needs the loudmouth pointing out that he died doing something naughty. We get it.

We're all aware. It's not shocking or controversial to point it out anymore. It's just agonizing and stupid.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

A guy with young kids died.
    That's the only situation you need to look at.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I swear to God, I will never understand this attitude.

9. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

A 46-year-old leaving behind 3 kids, ages 10, 7 and 5 calls for no compassion, got it.

"IF HE LUVED HIS KIDS HE WOULDA QUIT DRUGS!!!111!!"

Dude, you're not being the revolutionary bad ass who's blowing our minds with HARD reality. You're just being a troll.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

PSH took a known risk that he could die -- just as t_b_f does every time he flies into combat situations -- only his bet was just stupid, sick and useless -- for the higher purpose of nothing and no one.

We just wish these people would learn. What will it take for them to learn? That's what we don't get.

11. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

It's not for us to get. He's dead. Beating the drugs are bad dead horse is just a face palm for me, at this point.

A guy had young kids and he's dead. I'm not going to the candlelight vigil, but it's sad. I liked most of his movies, too.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

100 percent.

Draft saved Draft deleted