1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Phil Niekro

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Dec 27, 2020.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Had no idea on that.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Totally forgot: Niekro was the first Blue Jay to make the Hall of Fame.

He pitched for them in 1987. I went to his first start -- they lost 10-3 (although the bullpen gave up most of that). I'm trying to think if I ever went to a game that wasn't a crushing Toronto defeat.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I've written several stories about the knuckleball and they all say the same thing - the key is the length of the fingernails so you can really dig into the seams.

What a fantastic ride for Phil Niekro.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Started his career pitching for Milwaukee... Braves.

In his first season in the majors, Casey Stengel filled out a lineup to hit against him.

RIP

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I haven’t looked it up but I think Niekro lost every start he made for the Jays after they picked him up at the deadline. Maybe it wasn’t every single one but I’m almost positive he went winless at least.

EDIT: He made three starts for the Jays. He lost the first two. In the third he failed he make it out of the first inning, giving up five in 0.2 innings. But the Jays clawed back to get him off the hook before ultimately losing the game. Looks like they dumped him after that and he made one final appearance for Atlanta in September, the last one of his career.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

They dropped him because they traded for Mike Flanagan and needed a roster spot

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Had forgotten that. That turned out to be the right move looking back, even though they missed out on the playoffs anyway.

Now I’m starting to twitch, remembering the ball through Manny Lee’s wickets in Flanagan’s last start that year.

8. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Assuming that is this year? Ford, Seaver, Gibson, Kaline, Brock, Morgan and Niekro?

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted